History of Bribir
The remains of the old walls and the city tower are reminiscent of Frankopan’s princes, whose four-century rule left deep spiritual and material traces in Vinodol. His greatest blossoming Bribir experiences in the time of Prince Bernard Frankopan, who strengthens the castle and the city walls. When in 1848 Bribir seigniory was abolished, the municipal government demolished Vela and Mala Vrata(The Big and The Small Doors) and the castle, and in its place a school was built. Thus, the long and famous history of the Bribir fort was completed in ruins. The only remaining of a Bribir fort is the square tower from 1302 and a part of the wall. From the hill where the old town is situated, it overlooks the valley and Novi Vinodolski. Art Renaissance works in the church of St. Peter and Paul bear witness to the high level of cultural and civilization reaches of medieval Vinodol and strong ties with Europe.
Old Tower With Part Of The Wall
The remains of the former castle, a medieval 12th century castle. The castle dates back to the 13th century and it is owned by princes of Krk, and from the 16th century it is kept by the Counts Zrinski. In the 19th century the city walls and towers were demolished, only the square tower from 1302 and the parts of the town’s rampart on the north side were preserved.
Saint Peter and Paul Church
It was built in 1524 on the site of an old church which was probably still in existence at the time of the adoption of the Vinodol Law in 1288 and probably earlier. In the first half of the 18th century it was expanded, restored and baroqued. It was burned at the end of 1944 and restored in the eighties of the 20th century.
From the rich treasury of the parish church of St. Petar and Paul mention the renaissance relief of the Virgin Mary with Christ or the White Lady, the work of the Florentine masters in white marble, the image of Jacopo Palma – Leg Washing, a work of high artistic value, and a significant Renaissance cloister with a iron grate from 15th century and the main marble altar, work of the sculptor Antonia Michelazzi. The cross of the Bishops of Krbava also belongs to the Church of St. Peter and Paul, The 13th century Milon’s cross that was donated by Krištafor – the Bishop of Modruš to Vinodol and kept in Rijeka.
In the family houses you will find comfortable accommodation, and who once comes to Bribir always comes back because it feels like home.
In the last year Vinodol Valley achieved over 100.000 overnight stays.